Skip to main content

Limits

 The Limits of Every Idea

The Moment We Name, We Draw a Boundary


To my descendants,

There is something I want you to remember whenever you encounter an idea, a philosophy, a principle or even one of the lessons I have written in these cards. The moment we give something a name, we have already begun to limit it. We give it a form. We draw a boundary around it. We say: “This is discipline.” “This is focus.” “This is gratefulness.” “This is flow.” “This is opportunity.” “This is success.” “This is failure.”

The name helps us understand. Without names, it would be very difficult to think clearly. But the moment we name something, something else also happens. There will immediately be things that fall outside that name. There will be exceptions. There will be borderline cases. There may be circumstances in which the principle works very well, and other circumstances in which it no longer works.

So whenever you learn a principle, do not merely ask: “What does this mean?” Also ask: “Where does this stop being true?” That second question is extremely important.

 道可道,非常道

Laozi begins the Dao De Jing with one of the most profound warnings ever written about language: 「道可道,非常道;名可名,非常名。」 The Dao that can be spoken is not the constant Dao. The name that can be named is not the constant name. I have thought about this many times. Laozi is about to write an entire book. He must use words. He must give names. He must create ideas. Yet the first thing he does is warn us:

Do not mistake my words for the whole reality. What I can describe is only what language is capable of carrying. Reality is larger. This is a very humble way to begin philosophy. And I think it is something we should remember throughout life. 

A Name Helps Us See — And Can Also Stop Us Seeing

Suppose I point towards a tree and say: “That is a tree.” The word is useful. Now we can talk about it. We can classify it. Study it. Photograph it. Measure it. But the word “tree” does not contain the whole tree.

It does not tell us its age. Its memories. Its relationship with the soil. Its roots. The fungi living around those roots. The birds that nest in it. The insects that feed on it. The people who rested beneath it. The storms it survived. The word is useful. But the word is smaller than the reality.

So I would tell you: A name is a doorway into reality. It is not the whole house.  Naming Creates an Inside and an Outside Suppose I draw a circle on a piece of paper. The moment the circle appears, two things appear together: inside and outside. Before the line was drawn, there was simply paper. The boundary created the distinction. Concepts work in a similar way. The moment I say: “This is beautiful,” I have also created the possibility of: “not beautiful”. The moment I say: “high,” I have implied something lower. The moment I say: “long,” something shorter becomes imaginable.

Laozi expresses this beautifully in Chapter 2 of the Dao De Jing: 「有无相生,难易相成,长短相较,高下相倾。」 Being and non-being arise in relation. Difficult and easy establish one another. Long and short define one another. High and low depend upon one another. This is very important.

Many concepts exist through contrast. Without low, what does high mean? Without silence, what does sound mean? Without darkness, what does brightness mean? Without difficulty, how would we recognise ease? So whenever a concept appears, a boundary appears with it.

But Not Everything Has a Simple Opposite

Here we must also be careful. If something has an outside, that does not mean it necessarily has one simple opposite. For example: What is the opposite of a dog? A cat? No. A cat is simply another animal. The logical opposite of “dog” is “not dog”. But “not dog” includes: cats, birds, mountains, tables, stars, mathematics, clouds, and almost everything else in existence. So life is often more complicated than: A versus B.

This is one danger of thinking too quickly in opposites. Good or bad. Success or failure. East or West. Traditional or modern. Strong or weak. Sometimes reality does not fit neatly into two boxes. There may be a whole landscape between them. 

The Boundary Can Be Useful

I do not want you to think that limits are bad. Limits are necessary. An architect needs boundaries. A structural engineer needs tolerances. A doctor needs dosages. A lawyer needs definitions. A scientist needs categories. A map needs boundaries. Without some limits, thinking becomes vague.

Suppose I say: “Anything can mean anything.” Then communication becomes almost impossible. So boundaries are useful. But wisdom requires understanding what kind of boundary it is. Is it a boundary in nature? A boundary created by law? A practical boundary? A linguistic boundary? A cultural boundary? A temporary boundary? A boundary created merely for convenience?

These are not the same thing. 

The Map Is Not the Territory

Think of a map. A map is extremely useful because it leaves things out. A road map does not show every tree. A contour map does not show every conversation that took place there. A property map does not show childhood memories. A drainage plan does not show birdsong. If the map contained everything, it would become useless.

So abstraction requires simplification. But the danger comes when somebody mistakes the map for the land itself. The map helps us navigate. The land remains more complicated. Concepts are maps. Reality is terrain.

Use the map. But look out of the window.

Every Principle Has a Domain

This is especially important for the principles I am leaving you. I have written about discipline. Discipline is valuable. But is more discipline always better? No.

At some point discipline can become rigidity. If your body is injured and you insist on exercising because: “I am disciplined,” you may simply injure yourself further. That is not wisdom.

You have taken a useful principle beyond its proper limit.

Focus Also Has a Limit

Focus is powerful. But too much focus can become tunnel vision. You may become so concentrated upon solving one problem that you fail to notice that the problem itself no longer matters.

Or you may become so focused upon your career that you fail to see your family disappearing around you. So focus is good. But focus also requires occasional widening. You must sometimes step backwards and ask: “Am I focusing on the right thing?”

 Space Also Has a Limit

I have written about making space. Give people room. Give your children freedom. Give your spouse space. Allow latitude. But what happens if a parent says: “I believe in giving space,” and therefore gives no guidance whatsoever?

Space can become neglect. Freedom without any structure can become confusion. Therefore: Space needs a frame. Too little space becomes control. Too much space can become absence. The art is proportion.

Flow Also Has a Limit

Flow is another beautiful principle. A river adapts. It goes around obstacles. It changes course. But if you interpret flow as: “Always follow whatever everybody else is doing,” then flow becomes drift.

That is not what I mean. Sometimes you must stand against the current. Sometimes principle requires resistance. Sometimes the crowd is wrong. So flow means: adapt where adaptation is wise. It does not mean: abandon your values whenever conditions change.

Gratitude Also Has a Boundary

Gratitude is one of the first things I wrote about. Be grateful. Remember kindness. Appreciate what you have received. But gratitude does not mean that somebody owns you forever because he once helped you.

If someone helped you twenty years ago, you can remain grateful. But if he later behaves unjustly, gratitude does not require surrendering your judgement. Gratitude should produce humility. Not servitude.

Again: the principle is good. But the principle has a boundary.

Persistence Also Has a Boundary

We often tell people: “Never give up.” It sounds heroic. But is it always wise? Suppose a method has failed one hundred times. Evidence shows clearly that it is wrong. Continuing forever may not be courage. It may be stubbornness. Sometimes the courageous act is: to stop. Or: to change direction.

Or: to admit that the objective itself was wrong. So even “never give up” needs qualification. Perhaps the better advice is: Do not give up too easily on what truly matters. But do not become loyal to a method merely because you have already spent years using it.

Reflection Also Has a Limit

Reflection is important. I have encouraged you to contemplate your day. To examine yourself. To learn from mistakes. But reflection can also become excessive. You can think about the same event again and again and again. Eventually you are no longer learning.

You are merely circling. That is rumination. Reflection should produce: understanding, adjustment, acceptance, or action. If it produces only endless self-punishment, it has gone beyond its useful boundary.

Opportunity Also Has a Limit

I told you to recognise opportunities. To be willing to begin modestly. To prepare yourself. But not every offer is an opportunity. Sometimes exploitation calls itself opportunity.

Someone may say: “Work for free. It will be good exposure.” Perhaps. But ask: What am I genuinely learning? Am I respected? Is the arrangement fair? Is this building something useful? Or am I simply providing professional labour while somebody avoids paying for it? Again, the concept needs limits.

The Numbers Game Also Has a Limit

We discussed approaching more people. If one person rejects your drawing, it means almost nothing. Perhaps one hundred approaches will reveal more. But what if one thousand appropriate people reject it? Then the numbers are telling you something. You should not simply say: “I will ask one million people.” 

Perhaps the work needs improvement. Perhaps the market is wrong. Perhaps the price is wrong. Perhaps the presentation is wrong. So persistence in numbers must be accompanied by feedback. Otherwise numbers become another form of blindness.

Every Virtue Casts a Shadow

From all these examples, I have come to believe something: Every virtue can cast a shadow when extended beyond its proper limit. Discipline becomes rigidity. Focus becomes tunnel vision. Confidence becomes arrogance. Humility can become self-erasure. Tolerance can become weakness. Caution can become fear. Courage can become recklessness. Generosity can become foolishness. Persistence can become stubbornness. Freedom can become disorder. Order can become oppression. This does not mean we should abandon virtues. It means we need judgement.

Wisdom Is Knowing the Measure

Perhaps wisdom is not merely knowing: “This is good.” It is knowing: “How much?When?Where?For whom?Under what circumstances?” That is much harder.

Children often learn rules. Adults must eventually learn exceptions. A beginner asks: “What is the rule?” A mature person asks: “When does the rule apply?”

A wise person asks: “When does the rule cease to be the best guide?” 

Zhuangzi — This and That

Zhuangzi takes this much further. He writes: 「物无非彼,物无非是。」 There is nothing that is not “that”; there is nothing that is not “this”. Think about this. From where I stand: I am here. You are there. From where you stand: you are here. I am there.

Nothing physical has changed. The standpoint has changed. This is extremely important. Some arguments are not really arguments about facts. They are arguments about position.

The Two Banks of a River

Imagine two people standing on opposite sides of a river. One says: “The village is on the left.” The other says: “No. The village is on the right.” They argue. Perhaps they become angry. Perhaps they call each other stupid.

Then somebody asks: “Which direction are you facing?” Suddenly the argument changes. Both may be correct from their own orientation. This does not mean every disagreement is like this. But many are. Sometimes before deciding: “He is wrong,” ask: “From where is he looking?” That question can open an entire world. 

Perspective Creates Boundaries

Suppose you say: “This is expensive.” Expensive compared with what? Your income? Yesterday's price? Another country? A luxury alternative? The concept needs a reference point. Suppose you say: “This person is old.” Compared with a child, perhaps. Compared with a hundred-year-old person, perhaps not.

Many of our concepts depend upon comparison. So always ask: Compared with what? That simple question can reveal hidden assumptions.

The Pivot

Zhuangzi speaks of something like the pivot of the Dao — 道枢. I find this image very useful. Imagine the centre of a wheel. The rim moves. Different points move into different positions. But the centre allows the whole turning to be seen.

In an argument, try occasionally to move towards the pivot. Do not remain trapped only inside: “I am right.” or: “You are wrong.” Ask: What larger situation contains both positions?

What is each person protecting? What assumption separates us? What might both sides be missing? The purpose is not to pretend both positions are equally correct. The purpose is to see the whole structure more clearly. 

The Elephant in the Dark

This reminds me again of Rumi's story of the elephant in the dark room. One person touches the trunk. Another touches the leg. Another the ear. Each describes the elephant differently. Each has encountered something real. But each mistakes a partial experience for the whole.

Many concepts are like this. We touch one part of reality and name it. Then the name becomes the whole elephant. Be careful. Your experience may be valid. But it may still be partial.

Names Can Become Prisons

Suppose you call someone: “difficult.” The next day he disagrees with you. You say: “See? Difficult.” He becomes quiet. You say: “See? Passive-aggressive.” He explains himself. You say: “See? Argumentative.” Now the label is interpreting everything. The person may no longer be allowed to behave outside your concept of him.

The name has become a prison. So sometimes remove the name temporarily. Instead of: “He is difficult,” say: “He interrupted me three times in this conversation.” Now we have an observation. Observation is more precise. The label may still eventually be justified.

But at least you have not allowed the label to replace reality.

Do Not Turn Description Into Destiny

The same applies to yourself. “I am lazy.” Perhaps. But what does that actually mean? Do you avoid starting? Do you become distracted? Are you tired? Are you uninterested? Is the task badly structured? Are you frightened of failing? The label “lazy” may hide five different causes.

Once the label becomes identity, investigation stops. So instead of saying: “This is who I am,” ask: “What exactly am I doing?” That question creates movement.

Young and Old

Consider another example. At what exact moment does a young person become old? Forty? Fifty? Sixty? Seventy?

There is no single second when nature rings a bell and says: “You are now officially old.” Society creates categories because they are useful. Retirement age. Medical categories. Insurance. Statistics.

But human life itself changes continuously. This shows that some boundaries are sharp because we create them for practical reasons, while reality itself may be gradual. This distinction matters. 

Black and White Thinking

Human beings like simple categories. Good. Bad. Friend. Enemy. Success. Failure. Right. Wrong. Sometimes these distinctions are necessary. But many situations contain gradients. A project may fail financially but teach you something that later becomes valuable.

A person may be difficult in one context and wonderful in another. A decision may be partly correct and partly mistaken. So beware of black-and-white thinking when reality contains grey. But beware also of the opposite mistake.

Not Everything Is Relative

Once we discover the limits of categories, we may become tempted to say: “Everything is relative.” That is also too simple. Some distinctions matter enormously. A structural column cannot simply be removed because: “Different people have different perspectives.”

A poisonous substance does not become nutritious because somebody interprets it differently. Consent and coercion are not merely two equally valid viewpoints. Evidence matters. Facts matter. Reality can resist our interpretation.

So I am not teaching you: “Nothing is true.” I am teaching you: Be careful about claiming more certainty than your evidence allows. There is a big difference.

Use Distinctions Without Worshipping Them

We need categories. But we should hold them intelligently. Perhaps the principle is: Use concepts without becoming imprisoned by concepts. Use the map. But look at the land. Use the rule. But understand the circumstances. Use the label. But return to observation. Use the principle. But know its limits.

The Threshold

Architecture gives us another beautiful metaphor. Imagine a wall. The wall creates: inside and outside. But architecture becomes especially interesting at the threshold. The door. The window. The veranda. The balcony. The courtyard. These are spaces of transition. Not completely inside. Not completely outside.

Perhaps human concepts also need thresholds. A beginner often sees: A or B. A mature thinker begins noticing: A, B, and the transition between them. The overlap. The ambiguity. The borderline. The exception. The circumstance where the distinction no longer matters.

That is deeper thinking.

Every Principle Should Carry a Small Sentence

Perhaps every principle I leave you should secretly contain another sentence beneath it: “Under the appropriate conditions.” Discipline is good — under the appropriate conditions. Focus is good — under the appropriate conditions. Persistence is good — under the appropriate conditions. Flow is good — under the appropriate conditions. Even generosity is good — under the appropriate conditions. This little phrase protects us from dogma. 

Limits Do Not Weaken a Principle

This is something I want you to understand. If I say that a bridge can carry a certain load, I have not weakened the bridge. I have made its use safer. If a medicine has a dosage, the limit does not make the medicine useless. It tells us how to use it wisely.

Likewise, knowing the limit of a philosophy does not destroy the philosophy. It makes it more trustworthy. A principle that claims to apply to everything should make you suspicious. A principle that knows where it becomes uncertain may actually be much stronger.

Ask Five Questions

Whenever you encounter a strong idea, I suggest asking five questions. First: What does this concept include? What exactly do I mean by “discipline”, “success”, “freedom”, “goodness”, “leadership”?

Second: What does it exclude? What falls outside the definition?

Third: Where is the boundary unclear? What are the borderline cases?

Fourth: Under what conditions does this principle stop being useful? When does discipline become rigidity? When does flexibility become weakness? When does confidence become arrogance?

Fifth: What am I failing to see because I have named the situation this way? This last question is perhaps the most important.

Ask for the Exception

Whenever somebody tells you: “This always works,” ask: “When does it not work?” Whenever somebody says: “This person is always like that,” ask: “Always?” Whenever somebody says: “This is the only way,” ask: “Under what conditions?” These questions do not make you difficult. They make thinking more precise. 

Look for the Opposite

Sometimes it is useful to deliberately examine the opposite of your principle. If you believe: “Discipline is important,” ask: “When might spontaneity be more useful?” If you believe: “Focus is important,” ask: “When might wide exploration be necessary?”

If you believe: “Persistence is important,” ask: “When should I stop?” If you believe: “Flow is important,” ask: “When should I resist?” This does not destroy the original principle. It reveals its shape.

Look for the Borderline

The interesting questions are often at the edge. When does confidence become arrogance? When does humility become self-neglect? When does economy become stinginess? When does generosity become waste? When does freedom become disorder? When does order become control? These are not questions with one permanent answer.

Context matters. This is where judgement develops. 

Philosophy Should Not Become Another Prison

Be careful even with the ideas I am giving you. Do not say: “My ancestor wrote that discipline is good, therefore I must always be disciplined in exactly this way.” No. Think. Use the principle. Test it. Adapt it. Challenge it. If circumstances change, reinterpret it. If you discover that I was wrong, correct me. That would not dishonour what I am trying to do.

It would fulfil it. I do not want to leave you commandments carved in stone. I want to leave you tools for thinking.

My Words Are Also Limited

This is important. Everything I write here comes from: my time, my experience, my education, my mistakes, my observations, my own 天时 · 地利 · 人和. Your circumstances will be different. Therefore read my words as you would read a map left by someone who travelled before you.

The map may help. But the road may have changed. A bridge may have been built. A river may have changed course. A city may have appeared. Another path may now be better. Use my map. Then look at your own terrain.

Even This Principle Has a Limit

And now we arrive at something amusing. I have spent this entire chapter telling you: Every concept has limits. So naturally we must ask: Does this statement itself have limits? Yes. It must. Otherwise I would have created another absolute principle while warning you against absolute principles.

Perhaps some definitions are intentionally complete within a formal system. Perhaps certain logical categories are sharply defined. Perhaps some facts do not depend upon perspective. So even the philosophy of limits must remain humble.

This is why Laozi's opening remains so powerful. The moment we speak, we have already simplified something. Therefore speak. But remember that something exceeds the speech.

The Finger and the Moon

There is an old image I like. Someone points towards the moon. The finger is useful. It shows you where to look. But if you become fascinated by the finger and never look at the moon, you have missed the purpose.

Philosophical ideas are like fingers. “Discipline.” “Flow.” “Focus.” “Gratitude.” “Space.” “Opportunity.” “Limits.” These are fingers. They point. Your task is to look beyond them. See what they are trying to reveal. 

What I Hope You Will Remember

To my descendants, Learn definitions. They help you think. Learn principles. They help you act. Learn rules. They prevent you from reinventing everything. But after learning them, go one step further. Ask: What lies outside this principle? What exception have I missed? What circumstance changes its meaning?

What is the opposite perspective? Where does the boundary become unclear? What does the concept illuminate? What does the concept hide? Do not become frightened by ambiguity. Sometimes ambiguity is not a failure of thought. Sometimes it is evidence that reality is richer than the category. Remember Laozi: 「道可道,非常道;名可名,非常名。」

The spoken Dao is not the whole Dao. The named thing is not exhausted by its name. Remember also the relationship between opposites: 「有无相生,难易相成,长短相较,高下相倾。」 Being and non-being arise together. Difficult and easy define one another. Long and short are understood through comparison. High and low depend upon relation. So when you create a category, remember that you have also created a boundary.

And once there is a boundary, ask what lies beyond it. Do not mistake your circle for the whole world.

The Wisdom of the Open Boundary

Perhaps the best philosophy is not one with no boundaries. That would be useless. Nor one with completely closed boundaries. That would become rigid. Perhaps the wiser model is a boundary with a gate. Strong enough to give form. Open enough to allow new information to enter.

Like architecture. A wall gives definition. A door allows movement. A window allows light. So let your thinking be like that. Give your ideas structure. But leave doors. Leave windows. Leave some 留白.

Allow another perspective to enter. Allow evidence to change you. Allow experience to modify the map. Allow your descendants to disagree with you. Allow yourself to say: “I know something, but perhaps not everything.” That sentence contains both knowledge and humility. And perhaps that is one of the finest conditions for wisdom.

The Principle I Want You to Keep

If I had to reduce this entire chapter into one thought, it would be this: The moment we name something, we gain clarity — but we also create a boundary. Therefore: Name carefully. Define clearly. Think precisely.
But look beyond the definition. Know the rule. Know the exception. Know the centre. Know the edge. Know the opposite. Know the transition. And always ask whether the reality in front of you is larger than the concept you have brought to it. Because very often it is. Use concepts as tools. Do not turn them into prisons.

Use principles as guides. Do not worship them as absolutes. Use language to approach reality. But remember: Reality is always larger than the words we use to hold it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making Space

Making Space The Wisdom of Leaving Room To my descendants, There is another principle that I have gradually come to understand: In life, always leave some space. Leave space in your thinking. Leave space in your speech. Leave space in your relationships. Leave space for your spouse. Leave space for your children. Leave space for the people who work with you. Leave space in your plans. Leave space in your buildings. Leave space even inside your certainty.   Not everything should be loose. There are principles that must be firm. There are moral boundaries that should not be casually moved. There are moments when an instruction must be precise. There are structures where tolerances must be carefully controlled. But most human situations require some degree of latitude . Some breathing room. Some tolerance. Some possibility for adjustment. I call this: making space.   The Wisdom of the Empty Room Laozi expressed this idea extraordinarily well more than two thousand years ago. In C...

Seasons of Life

The Seasons of a Human Life Growing, Building, Understanding and Returning To my descendants, As I grow older, I increasingly realise that human life should not be understood as one straight continuous line. We are not simply born, become larger, become older, and then die. There are different stages. Different periods. Different responsibilities. Different forms of growth. And perhaps most importantly: what constitutes growth at one stage of life may be completely different from what constitutes growth at another. A child grows physically. A young person grows through learning. An adult grows through responsibility. A mature person grows through understanding. And perhaps an older person grows partly through letting go. So ageing is not simply a process of gaining and then losing. It may be better understood as a series of transformations. Each stage asks something different of us.   A Life Has Seasons I like to think of life as having seasons. Spring is not summer. Summer is not ...

Opportunity

Opportunity Be Ready Before the Door Opens To my descendants, People often say: “I was never given the opportunity.” Sometimes this is true. People are not born into equal circumstances. Some are born into wealthy families. Some into poverty. Some have educated parents. Some do not. Some grow up surrounded by books, good schools and influential people. Others begin life with very little. Some are born in countries and periods of history overflowing with possibilities. Others are born into war, political instability or economic hardship. So I would never say that opportunity is distributed equally. It clearly is not. But there is another truth that is equally important: Opportunity is not determined only by where you were born. You can move. You can learn. You can search. You can meet people. You can acquire skills. You can enter another field. You can use technology to reach knowledge and people thousands of kilometres away. And, above all, you can prepare yourself before you know exac...